Peru is a place blessed with a deep rich history and an astonishing breadth of natural beauty. Begin in Lima, where you explore colonial mansions and view priceless collections of Incan Artifacts. Fly into one of the broadest expanses of rainforest in the world to cruise the Amazon River. See pink river dolphins navigating the waters, and watch as endangered manatees are cared for at the Manatee Rescue Center. Fish for piranha, and go on a night safari in search of caiman and fish bats. Experience life along the river with visits to traditional villages whose inhabitants find sustenance by the bounty of the jungle and the river that feeds it. Enjoy a cooking lesson, and feast on delectable cuisine with fresh produce prepared daily for you. Peru is an experience that cannot be described, only felt, and the mighty Amazon will thrill you.
Degree of Difficulty –
Blackbird, Purple Gallinule, egrets and Yellow-headed Caracara. During the dry season (June through November), you can explore two different eco-systems on your hike at Belluda Cano: flooded forest and terra firme forest. Your morning hike affords excellent opportunities for spotting transitional species such as the Snail Kite, Black-tailed Antbird, manikins, tanagers, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, nun birds, orioles, blackbirds, and more! The hike will lead you to dugout canoes to take out on a lagoon. As you canoe through the waters, you may spot the peculiar Crested Hoatzin bird with its olive-colored plumage. Hike back to the skiffs, where icy towels will refresh you. After emerging from the depths of the forest and returning to the ship, you will be treated to a world-class lunch with an Amazonian flair while continuing upstream towards your next destination. This afternoon, you will have the chance to enjoy some of the myriad bird species, colorful butterflies, and noisy monkey troops, and when the sun sets and nocturnal creatures come out, you’ll encounter a whole new world of adventure.
PRICING: Per person, based on double occupancy
Maximum group size: 44 travelers. The M/V Delfin III has only 22 suites
YOUR JOURNEY INCLUDES:
- Roundtrip flights between Lima and Cusco on the post-extension.
- First class accommodations at hotels and cruise ship.
- Breakfasts Daily. All meals while on the Amazon River cruise. All other meals as specified.
- 5-Days/4-Nights Cruise aboard the M/V DELFIN III with all meals included. Naturalist guides provided aboard the ship. Accommodations are in double, air-conditioned outside cabins with private facilities, based on Suite Stateroom. Upgrades are available at additional cost.
- Gratuities for baggage handling, hotel tips and taxes.
- Port charges.
- All entrance fees to places of interest visited and on sightseeing tours indicated in the itinerary.
- Complimentary passport wallet and baggage tags.
- Complimentary emergency evacuation insurance.
The rest of the year the gray coastal mist known as garua moves in. The Amazon experiences rain, heat and more rain and heat – the wettest months are December through May, but even then, it rarely rains for more than a few hours at a time and the water levels are high, meaning you do more boat activities, as opposed to the dry month when you can do more trekking.
Brazil – A Sense of Water: The Amazon, Iguassu Falls & Rio de JaneiroFrom$5,395.00
Enchanted Ecuador – Colonial & Andean Charms in the Center of the WorldFrom$3,995
Antarctica – Secrets of the Seventh ContinentFrom$13,500.00
Cuba – Cubano Sato: The Nature of Hemingway’s Cuba