The very sound of opera raises images of Italy in the minds of most. Soaring arias paint a picture of fine art in stone castles, winding rose vines along the grated enclosures of noble piazzas, and of course the grand theaters of the Italian stage. Walk in the footsteps of two operatic giants, Giuseppe Verdi and Giacomo Puccini, who wrote notes that still echo through popular culture, familiar to ears of all nationalities, languages, and cultures, a century after they set their notes to parchment. Explore their homes, their theaters, and their inner lives as you travel throughout the region, immersing yourself in the world of the great maestros, as their music fills your heart and guides your steps.
Degree of Difficulty –
NOTE: Mid-July to mid-August is the Puccini Festival. Late September into late October is the Verdi Festival. If traveling during this time, we will obtain tickets to the festivals. At any other time, we can obtain tickets to events taking place during your visit and are dependent on what is available.
YOUR JOURNEY INCLUDES:
- All ground transfers and excursions in private deluxe air-conditioned motor coach.
- Continental breakfast daily, a welcome dinner and a farewell dinner and other meals as per itinerary. (B=Breakfast; L=Lunch; D=Dinner)
- Superior accommodations throughout as indicated or similar.
- All museum and attraction entry fees indicated on itinerary.
- Porterage for baggage handling.
- Complimentary baggage tags and passport wallet.
- Complimentary emergency evacuation insurance.
With so many Italian offerings, you must wonder when is a good time to travel. Here’s a synopsis.
- On our National Parks program, the parks are only accessible because of weather conditions during the summer months with best time being mid-July through September, which is also quite sunny, hot and gorgeous for water activities. Our program does include opportunities to experience the great outdoors and beautiful grottoes, from the mountains of central Italy to Rome and
- The Umbria Jazz Festival takes place every year in July and also in December. The program can be offered year-round as it covers a picturesque part of Italy, but if music is your passion, then it needs to be in July or December.
- The Verdi festival is in October and Puccini in September. Here, too, you can offer the programs year-round, but Italy, in general, is best visited in April-June and September/October, in order to avoid heat and also crowds.
- Similarly, the Venice & Verona program features Opera; the Verona Music Festival takes place from end of June through the end of August and some performances will also take place at the renowned Fenice Theatre in Venice. The program can be offered year-round if music is not the main feature.
- The South of Italy and the archaeological sites can be visited at any time, although best months would be April-June and September-October to avoid the heat of the summer. The temperatures during this time would be in the 70’s ideal weather for viewing the temples, or visiting the beach, or hiking. The summer months could see temperatures in triple digit, and the winter months would be in the 50’s.
- The rest of our programs are best in April-June and September/October for the reasons stated above, particularly avoiding the heat, especially if the program includes hiking.
Italy – Countryside, Canals, and ‘Cucina’ in Tuscany and the NorthFrom$6,595.00
Great Britain – Essential London – From Big Ben to StonehengeFrom$4,595.00
Croatia – Beyond the Dalmatian Coast: A Journey Through the CenturiesFrom$6,795.00
Great Britain – Victoria’s England – The Queen that Defined an EmpireFrom$5,595.00